Saturday, February 28, 2009

MMMC Orientation

If asked to describe orientation in 1 word, I'll say it sucked. Seriously, waking up at 6am+, travelling all the way down to Melaka from KL, just for a 2hour talk?! Come on, when people talk about "orientation", it's usually 2 long weeks filled with games, fun and interaction. Ours? 2 hours long talk, 30mins refreshment and off you go. I got to admit I nearly dosed off during one of the talks. zzZ

Nevertheless, the talks were very informative. It gave an overview of our course, about Manipal, about being a doctor and so on. The Dean of Medical Faculty used alot of catchy phrases and a couple of poems to encourage us. He told us a doctor is "not an occupation and but a vocation, a life commitment rather than a livelihood, an obsession rather than a profession". He also said that doctor is a noble career, hence we should lead by example. He carried on by explaining the phrase "the power of example is much more powerful than the example of power".

The Dean also gave us a brief intro to our time table. We have classes from 8am-5pm on Mondays till Fridays, with only 30mins break and 1.5 hour lunch daily. Looking down the time table, WHAT?!! WE HAVE CLASSES ON SATURDAY MORNINGS?!! 8am-10am. Damn. I don't mind the duration, but why can't they have it like 12-2pm?? Haih. Besides lectures and practicals, we also have Self Directed Learnings (SDL), Problem Based Learnings (PBL), Personal and Professional Development (PPD). Anatomy dissection classes are usually at 8am-10am in the morning. I wonder how many of us would puke our breakfast out just 20mins after eating it. Swt. Looking from the brighter side, there isn't much to do in Manipal, so a packed time table can fill up my time. Not that bad after all =)

After orientation, Shawn's family brought us to a local Chicken Rice Ball shop in Melaka town. Unfortunately they couldn't join us for lunch. Anyhow, thank alot man. See ya this Sunday, and for the next 2.5years. Haha!

Okay thats enough words for now. I'm looking forward to the MV outing later, which is planned by YeeTheng. It'll be my last time seeing most of my sec schoolmates. Off I go now. Until next time..

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter